Tuesday, June 29, 2010

No one can ever say the prairie is boring!

What a beautiful day and place. I can't believe how many pictures I took and can't get rid of! This is suppose to be such a lonely and desolate area but it's so chock full of life that it never feels lonely! I can't stop taking pictures. You will have to bear w/ me and my enthusiasm. I really thought I wouldn't have many pictures since I took the Pronghorn Loop trail and was really just hoping to see a couple of them (the Pronghorn). Those were actually in short supply, however, the pictures were/are not. I did see about 5 Pronghorn at the very end from far away as you can tell by the quality of the pic.
The insects and butterfly's were out in droves. I almost got a picture of the butterfly w/ it's wings open but it was blurry! Bummer!
I've never seen these lizards before and saw 3 before the hike was over. Each had a turtle shaped belly that was bigger than the one before it.
And need I say anything about the flowers? As you can see they were out in abundance!!

Let's give the 'weeds' their due!
Some day I hope to come back and label all the flowers. As you can see that will be one hell of a job!

And let's not forget the grasses! They need some love too!
And the yucca which were flowering!
This hike was undertaken the weekend of the 26th of June. Again, I was slow to post!

Soapstone Prairie

Trails Used: Pronghorn Loop Starting at far Entrance Gate
Distance: 10.2 Miles
Difficulty: Easy
Moving average: 3.6 mph
Overall average: 3.2 mph
Moving Time: 2 hrs, 48 min
Stopped Time: 24 min, 19 sec
Total Ascent: 722 ft.
Maximum elevation: 6449 ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment