Monday, October 29, 2012

Garbage Can & Recyling Bin Cake for Son's Birthday

My son doesn't like my typical chocolate and sea foam cake (usually without gummy worms and crushed Oreo's)
 
that my family has been having for years.  I'm bummed!  I love this cake, however, I realized it was not my birthday so I needed to make a cake just for him.  This year he asked for a garbage can.  I was pretty excited to try something new and different.  First, I baked the cake then cut to fit the top layers, and finally spooned out the insides to allow for ice cream later.
 I had a lot of extra pieces left over.
The next step was to frost the garbage can and recycling bin.  I did this obnoxious turquoise color since it matches our garbage cans!
 
 I filled the bins with two different types of ice cream.
 The garbage can was topped with a lid and given some 'garbage' (yogurt covered pretzels and gummy worms).  The last step was adding the licorice recycling symbol.
 Add some candles and you are ready to go!
 The hardest step was figuring out how to cut this monstrosity!
 Overall, I think the cake project turned out pretty good and tasted great.  Now I need to get ready for whatever is coming my way for the next birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment